Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 21:39:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        dshanes@personalogic.com, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
> I was told by Eric Raymond (whom I met briefly at the Mozilla party)
> that the *BSD people were deliberately excluded because there were too
> many BSDs and they didn't want to get involved in any political issues
> over it.  I find these continuous allegations of the BSD world being
> gratuitously and needlessly "split" (even though each *BSD seeks to
> fill a different niche) by the Linux community to be rather tiresome
> considering the amount of division in their own ranks and can only see
> this as something of a double standard, but I've long since given up
> on any hope of fair play from this particular crowd.
>
> This and several other incidents of a similar nature has pretty much
> convinced me that this crowd would rather prefer it if we really
> didn't exist at all and is going to essentially conduct their
> operations as if we didn't.  Oh well.  Perhaps it *IS* time to go on
> the PR offensive here ("Why Linux doesn't work") since playing nice
> guys hasn't appeared to have won us anything but lots of nice comments
> from folks like Marc A. at netscape to the effect that "Linux is the
> only free OS alternative." I'm getting tired of that, and if it's
> going to take "breaking ranks" with the rest of the free OS community
> to get our own message out, maybe it's time.
>
> 					Jordan

Amen!!  From what you say, the time appears to have come.  There are
enough of them to eat us alive it we sit on our buts and just observe.
A kick ass attitude can be a very good thing if things are indeed as you
say they are.  I am no politician, but that appears to be what is going
on here.  In that case the more noise and fsck you the better.  Stake
our ground and strut our stuff.
Frank