Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 20:15:20 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Virus.. Old but Nasty

My shell of choice is tcsh, which is part of the reason why my root will
always have the shell as plain old sh.  I find it discourages me from
doing anything as root that doesn't absolutely need to be done as root.
I never do change it, but someone might want to.  Although this may not
be the best idea I still think it's important to inform them that last I
checked it was safe as far as boot -s was concerned.  As I'm still
running 3.x, not 4.0, I'm not sure if such is still the case.  I'm still
curious if the behavior is the same as it used to be.

Laurence

Chris Fedde wrote:

> On 14 May 2000 18:29:07 -0700  Harry Putnam wrote:
>  +------------------
>  | Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net> writes:
>  | > Last I checked if you just change the root shell to bash it will do what
>  | > you want.  FreeBSD should prompt for the root shell when you boot up in
>  | > single user anyway, so you can just tell it /bin/sh or /bin/csh then.
>  | If you set bash as root shell, at least for me, it breaks if you have
>  | to login from an emergency `boot -s' because some of the libraries or
>  | something that bash uses are not on the "/" root partition.
>  +------------------
>
> Please, just let the root account alone.  It is far better to
> install and use something like sudo(8) than it is to muck about with
> the shell for the root user.   If you find that you are logging
> in as root for extended sessions then you should re-think some of
> your admin habits.
>
> If you need an sh root login then just use the toor account that is
> already there.  If you realy need bash then just start it once you login.
>
> chris
>
> --
>     Chris Fedde
>     303 773 9134

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 2000 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved