Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:29:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Waaaarg, we just blew out the kernel again..

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Erik Trulsson wrote:

>bzip2 is slower and uses more memory than gzip for decompression too.
>
>I think using bzip2 instead of gzip might be painful on old low-end
>machines.  (Low-end here defined as 386/486 class machines with 16MB
>RAM or less.)

While this may /Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc/ there isn't a linux distro in
existence that doens't use bzip2 to compress their bloated default
kernel.  Linux is also touted as the savior of (among other things)
low-end hardware.  Whether I agree with said touting is another thing
entirely.  However, bzip2 decompression is not gonna kill off FreeBSD's
ability to run on older hardware.  For one thing -CURRENT no longer
supports the 80386.  I've got a friend[0] who builds custom floppy based
linux distros for all sorts of applications like Icecast mirroring and
even Mosix on a floppy.  Most of his development machines are 80486s,
mostly DX but some even SX, and 16MB of RAM is the average deployment.
He has no trouble unbzipping linux kernels on those machines and I've
seen him do it on a 386.

[0] - http://www.rimboy.com

Brandon D. Valentine
--