Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:22:24 +0200
From:      Arek Czereszewski <arek@wup-katowice.pl>
To:        "Marcel.lautenbach" <freebsd@xtsy.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing the shell and editor

Marcel.lautenbach wrote:
> hi again,
>
> well, i've tried a bit playin with the /etc/master.passwd, adduser,
> vipw an so on.
>
> now i use the bash shell. but, i am not able to change my enviroment
> variables anymore. trying "set EDITOR emacs" did not work. when ich
> echo my editor variable, it is empty. though i have changed my shell
> back to csh in the /etc/master.password file, when i log on i still
> use the bash.

Command set VARIABLE work in t/csh

In bash you must export env. variables.
$ export EDITOR=ee
But this work only in this session
For permanent sets use ~/.bash_profile
More info about bash you have in manual page.

> rebooting the system or kill -1 1 didn't do any good. i am getting
> confused now a bit. acually changes in the master.passwd file should
> take effect in any case, shouldn't they?

Regards
Arek

--
Arek Czereszewski       | jid: aro(at)chrome.pl
arek(at)wup-katowice.pl |  gg: 1349941