Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:47:38 -0600
From:      Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Renaming USB device

>If you could elaborate more on the goal you are seeking, other useful info=
rmation could come from this list. At the moment, it's just my wild guessin=
g. :-)

I have a bootable FreeBSD image on a USB stick that clones itself on the ta=
rget system's hard drive, creating partitions and other configuration as de=
fined in the cloning logic. The /etc/fstab on the USB image is hard coded t=
o mount root (/) from /dev/da0s1a. However, other systems where the hard dr=
ives use the same prefix as the USB stick, the fstab on the stick is incorr=
ect (it would need to be /dev/da4s1a on systems with four SCSI drives since=
 those disks would be names da0-da3).

So what we really want is a way to solve this problem--Have a generic boota=
ble USB drive that doesn't need to have a custom fstab for different kinds =
of systems.