Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   The PPro series is already dead:  no further development.  The Pentium
> series will end with the 233mhz MMX chip.  Only the here-and-now matters.
> Sure the Pentium and Pro have been around longer, but Intel is already
> winding them down!  As short lived as slot 1 may be (in total lifespan),
> it will be around long after the Pro.

So? Given that the PPro is near the end of its development, that's
an even better reason to buy one now. You'll get around the same,
or perhaps just slightly less, performance for considerably less
money (I bought a PPro150 CPU for under US$200 a while back), and
in the mean time the PII stuff will have a chance to fall in price.

If cost is any concern whatsoever, and you're not running applications
that crawl on a PPro200, you are just dumb to buy a PII this soon.
(And if you do need the utmost performance, you're silly buying
any Intel chip when you can get a 600 MHz 21164 for not much more,
and get noticably better performance.)

>   PII/266 chips are cheaper than than Pro/200 w/512k cache, and faster.
> Besides the chipset is the same!

Yes, but much cheaper 256K cache PPro200s are also available. Is
512K of slow cache better than 256K of fast cache for your application?
And despite the chipset being the same, you have to count in your
motherboard costs and the like as well.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates