Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:10:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cloned routes and refcounts question

I've been doing some playing around with syn-ack ratelimiting, and I think
I've just noticed a problem in the refcounting of routes.

Specifically, I'm doing testing by synflooding from 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.3
with 10.1.1.1 set to deny all tcp packets coming back from 10.1.1.3.
After a few seconds of this, the route table on 10.1.1.3 contains this
entry:

Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
10.1.1.1           0:a0:cc:23:82:91   UHLW    75284   151583      dc0   638

The refs field worries me.  As I understand it, refs should simply be the
count of the number of active connections using that route - clearly the
number should be much lower.  Note that 10.1.1.1 is also the default
gateway for 10.1.1.3, if that changes anything.  10.* are both running
recent -currents.

Out of curiousity, I checked the route table on my 4.2 box, which is on a
different network and wasn't participating in the syn-fun whatsoever.
Sure enough, it has more refcounts to its gateway than it should too:

Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            24.183.3.1         UGSc       18      223      dc0
24.183.3.1         0:50:54:72:8c:54   UHLW       19        0      dc0   1197

So, two questions:

1.  Are route entries refcounts only supposed to correspond to connections
currently in existance, or do they get bumped by other network subsystems?

2.  Does anyone have a guess as to where this leak is coming from in the
cloning process?  I'm not very familiar with the route table at this
moment.

Thanks,

Mike "Silby" Silbersack