Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 15:52:30 +1000
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad144 missing?

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 12:32:14AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Jonathan Michaels wrote:
> > > IIRC, the code was
> > > suffering from bitrot and the drives that really needed it will (ESDI
> > > and MFM mostly) aren't supported in 5.0.
> >
> > and what of all the people who still use this kind of hardware ?
> >
> > what are they supposed to do ?
>
> 1) Continue to run FreeBSD 3.x. It's still a very good OS.

i'm currently at freebsd v2.2.7-release .. what worries me are
the security fixes i cannot make because freebsd v2.x is
concidered dead meat.

> 2) Buy new hardware. It is getting cheaper every year.

this may be the case, but i and of those whom i speak are
limited to beging, you know the kind where you take your
dignity in your hand and grovel for whatever garbage the "rich"
people are throwing out because it is no longer fashionable.

> 3) Write new versions of the drivers. The drives are not being
> dropped because anyone objects to them, but rather that there
> has been no one who cares about them enough to maintain
> the code.

if i could i would be at the top of the list and i would be
churning out code faster (with more reliablity than most of the
current "wheenies").

now if i was in a position to be able to do that then i
wouldn't be on teh invalid pension, because i wouldn't have the
severly disabling medical deficiencies that i currently tdo
have and i would be able t earn a living and i probaly would
still be churning out real code in os-9 and or qnx.

also, i know several groups of people who are in this exact
same situation, i have for years been selling them the line
that freebsd is our only hope because it supports the hardware
that we can get .. now i have to tell them that we are beeing
adandoned like so much garbage because we cannot put in our
"pound of flesh".

like the ripples on teh pond, who knows were thes small waves
will end up, who know what will be the end result ?

my grandmother used to teach me that helping people who
couldn't help themselves was an end in and of itself, but then
again she valued human dignity .. pity, we no longer concider
those as adequate reasons to do the things that we do.

thank you for your post richard, it is apreciated.

regards

jonathan