Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 12:25:03 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Software Study

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:

> > > Why "hopelessly biased"?
> >
> > I think it's because you can read the results in the questions
> > without having to wait for the survey to be completed.
>
> I never noticed that. I don't recall seeing the results until I chose to
> after I completed the five pages.

You misunderstand.

I can read the results by reading the questions, without
having to read the results themselves.

In other words, the survey will get the results it was
designed to get, rather than results that tell them
anything.

Soft scientists seem to be unfamiliar with the term
"double blind".

Most UI "testing" seems to be designed to get the answers
the "researchers" want as well.

It's real easy to design a survey to prove conclusions
which you already hold to be true.

This is not a scientific survey; despite the claim that
partial results are not statistically significant, I'd
have to say that full results are also not going to be
statistically significant.

If you want me to take apart the bias question by question,
I can do so.

-- Terry