Date:      02 Nov 2001 10:15:06 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Philosophers Please!

"Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> writes:

[ about pi digits as random numbers ]

> If you were to run all of your statistical tests on that set of
> numbers, it would appear to be random. But it is not. If you tell me
> any arbitrary position in the bit stream, I can tell you what the next
> value will be. Not random.

Just a side-note about the opposite "gotch" to also watch out for:

"0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0" could be the output of a
truly random number generator and it could thus be said to be a
random number sequence.  You can not tell me what the next value
wil be. Random.  (You will never get that sequence from a common
psuedo-random number generator.)

So when some software ask you for a random number sequence, you should,
in most cases, not only feed it random numbers, but numbers that are
designed to produce numbers that look random even though they are not
or those that have passed statistical tests for randomness.

So it will often be better to use numbers from random(3) (maybe seeded
by numbers from /dev/random) than those from /dev/random. (Unless those
devices' output has been designed to also pass statistical tests in
all cases, rather than seeming to be truly random (which won't pass
statistical tests in all cases).  Anyone know?)