Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:23:40 -0400
From:      Chris Snyder <chris@psydeshow.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper way to upgrade packaes from ports

Kent Stewart wrote:

>   I have usually done a pkg_version -c and know what needs to be updated.

I use the pkg_version -c method as well-- it seems so much simpler than
portupgrade, but am I missing something and/or running the risk of
breaking things?

FWIW I think that keeping your ports/packages up-to-date could be
covered better in the Handbook, considering how important it is in terms
of security. There's no mention of either portupgrade or pkg_version in
the ports/packages coverage.

    chris.