Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:18:58 +1200
From:      "Sarton O'Brien" <sobrien@quicksilver.co.nz>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ppp gateway, speed and xfer rate determined how?

Howdy,

I have a FreeBSD gateway with user ppp configured for my home LAN.

Works great, no problems but the speed does seem a little slow.

I was wondering how do I go about finding out the connection speed and
determining how fast the tranfer rate is.

Also I was curious as to what factors hinder PPPs performance. This box
has very little RAM and a couple of daemons running, tetrinet-x, apache,
postgres postmaster, qmail + tcpserver and sshd.  OKay, a few more than
a couple but I figure they lay dormant most of the time.

I have observerd top during an ftp from my work, I am 3 hops from my
desktop\laptop and connected to a 2M line, the only bottleneck is the
modem. Top reported next to nothing in activity or memory usage.

I have a Dynalink 56k modem, the gateway is a 486dx2-66 (a compaq
prolinea *cringe*) with 8Mb on board (embedded) and 8Mb additional, so
16Mb total.

ppp.conf:

set device /dev/cuaa0

 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
ATE1Q0M0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

 set timeout 120
 set ifaddr 202.89.128.130/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR

papchap:

 set redial random
 set server +portno. passwd