Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 09:54:19 +1100
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL PPPoE (Telstra Aust.) began to hang between 4.3- and 4.4-RELEASE

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:46:37AM -0500, Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:

> I recently had the *exact* problem with some 4.3-REL machines.  In my
> case, it turned out that the telco had upgraded some equipment that
> caused the problem.

I had already read your email (it was a very recent thread right?).
In any case, since I can back date to 4.3-RELEASE and everything works
again, any telco equipment that causes the problem could have been in
existence forever. I am unlikely to have any joy chasing that up.

To reiterate, with exactly the same hardware and exactly the same
ppp.conf setup on completely virgin installs, 4.3 works and 4.4 doesn't.

Either I'm completely bonkers (I don't discount the possibility!!) or
something changed in between, likely around August based on my cvsup
history. The machine is a P60 or else I would go through making the
world at weekly back-dates to narrow when the change occured. (I might
start that process in the background anyway.)

Surely someone with Telstra ADSL is using a recently dated version of
FreeBSD 4-STABLE and can confirm or refute this problem. Perhaps Paul
Hoadley whose guide "FreeBSD on Telstra's Bigpond ADSL network" I used
to set this up originally?

> Could it be possible that something in the PPP or PPPoE implementations
> makes FreeBSD prone to problems in certain fringe situations?

I have no idea. I hope not and have noticed no evidence before this!!

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. I will not attach my original long email which described the
problem. Please refer back to it if anyone thinks they can help.