Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:37:48 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@stokely.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, Edu Carneiro <mustaxe@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Backup Basics

Murray Stokely wrote:
> I'd really like to see a new section here about commercial cloud based
> backup offerings, including TarSnap as the most FreeBSD-friendly
> variety, but also including some of the other services built on AWS or
> other cloud services that can be used with FreeBSD.

Thanks for the plug. :-)

There are a couple of companies listed under http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/
as providing backup services (www.ahsay.com, www.exavault.com) but I don't see
anything special about them aside from the fact that they presumably submitted
PRs asking to be added -- to be honest, I'm not entirely certain why there is a
"Commercial Vendors" page on the FreeBSD website at all when google does a much
better job of finding vendors.

While I'm always eager to have more people hear about tarsnap, I think putting
any sort of list of vendors into the handbook would just end up as a huge mess
unless there's a very clear policy about which companies get listed -- and I
really can't imagine how to draw up such a policy.

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve