Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:42:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, hm@hcs.de
Subject:   Re: patch for layer1/i4b_isic.c (silence noisy debug message)

> 	WARNING: unit %d, No IRQ from HSCX/ISAC!
[..]
> If I remember right Hellmuth told me, that this is a not needed
> debug message. I commented it out and now my console window calms
> down ;-)

This is a debug-only message and it's sometimes caused without a reason
to worry, but in most situations you should not see this message!

You'll get this message when the isic interrupt handler was called and
there was no reason for an interrupt found.

This is supposed to happen:
 - on the Amiga (shared ISA interrupts)
 - on PCI cards (level triggered interrupts might be shared)
 - on PCMCIA cards (all cards on one pcmcia controller share an interrupt)

It should never happen:
 - on ISA or ISAPNP cards on the i386

There realy are two problems mixed here, and the right solution is to extend
the struct isic_softc by a new flag: interrupt might be shared. If this flag
is set by the bus-specific attachment code the interrupt handler should not
complain but return 0 (interrupt not for me).

If this flag is set and the interrupt was from this card we should also play
the "mask all interrupts and reenable them" game, if the cards driver does
not provide a special "clrirq" routine.

This is all part of some restructuring needed, that was delayed to get the
beta in a stable state out of the door...

Martin