Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:00:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   fsck and large filesystems.

	OK, the Berkley Fast Filesystem has served us well for almost, wgat 20
	years now. However it appears that we have reached the point where
	something else is needed.

	I recently built a machine with a 13G disk. Most of the disk is
	dedicated to /usr. Once I improperly shut the system down. The
	resulting fsck took forever!. And the partition was mostly empty!

	Any sugestions on alternate technologies available under FreeBSD?
	softupdates does not, at first glance, seem to be the fix here. If I am
	understanding it coreclty, then it appears that i could actually make
	things wose, in this respect, although it appears to offer higher
	runtime performance.

	Or am I all wet on this?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955