Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 22:25:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Adam Sandman <sandman@xserver.sjc.ox.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network speed problems with FreeBSD

Dear Sir/Madam

I recently installed FreeBSD on a 486DX2 with a NE2000 compatible
ethernet card. The computer had functioned correctly under linux, but
under FreeBSD the network access is unbearably slow.

The netword interface ed1 appears correctly on bootup, and looks fine
after an ifconfig, although it has the SIMPLEX flag set (is that ok?).
During bootp, it virtually hangs when asked to invoke routed, and all
subsequent net operations are painfully slow!

I have recompiled the kernel to only use the devices in the computer and
to optimise the settings, but it works no better than when under GENERIC!
in this regard, so the problem lies elsewhere I presume?

If you have any ideas, they'd be gratefully received!

Thanks

Adam.

Adam Sandman		   Tel: +1 617-876-2302 (home)
516 Green Street #3A		+1 508-741-5300 (work)
Cambridge MA 02139     http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sjoh0018
"You do what you do best, not what it's best to do..."
Martin Amis 1988.