Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:24:02 +0100
From:      Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 07:29:57AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <CAPyFy2BXWPVOJo+GOf83sZFrPHE80-QvdHeWrhi+Tdj0KDnThg@mail.gmail.com>, Ed Maste writes:
> >We don't do this today, but have the ability to do so for arm64 server
> >platforms. (Due to its design, freebsd-update does not work
> >particularly well on devices with slow root filesystems such as SD
> >cards.)
>
> I don't think storage-technology should be used as a discriminant here.
>
> First because it is quite trivial to plug in a quality USB SSD (WD
> passport for instance) and use that as root filesystem.
>
> Second, just because freebsd-update takes a day to run, doesn't mean
> that people would not want it.

Indeed.  For example, on a Raspberry Pi 3B, it takes multiple days to
build world as the build must be done single threaded due to a lack of
RAM (building LLVM is the worst offender here).  Getting it down to one
day is already a huge quality of life improvement.

Yours,
Robert Clausecker

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign - for an 8-bit clean world
/\  - against html email  - against proprietary attachments