Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:25:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        sprice@hiwaay.net (Steve Price)
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson), eric@cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen), freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11R6 for FreeBSD/alpha

Steve Price wrote...
> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> # > IMO, we should probably reformat the file and move it into src/sys/sys.
> # > (The formatting is bad; I just kept my additions in line with the code that
> # > was in there, but it should be re-done.)
> # >
> # > It also might make sense to rename it to pciio.h, although I'm not sure
> # > what that would break.  The only system utility that I know of that uses
> # > the PCI ioctl interface is pciconf.  And I suppose the Alpha port of
> # > XFree86 is the other thing it would "break".
> #
> # The alpha port of XFree86 would be very easy to fix. I think pciio.h is
> # certainly the right name for this (ideally it should have a copyright
> # notice too...)
>
> Indeed with the header installed under /usr/include/sys the fix
> to the port would be trivial.  I'm all for installing it.  I was
> off looking for a way to accomplish the same thing without the
> header.
>
> The new name and location sound like a good idea too.  Probably
> would be a good idea to get a repo-copy before the deed is done.

Yeah, that makes sense.

> Kenneth since you have changes you'd like to make will you pursue
> this or would you like me too?  Thanks.

I'll work on it, although I could probably use some testing help once I've
fixed it.  (i.e. make sure we get XFree86 changes ready at the same time,
make sure we don't break buildworld, etc.)

It may be a little longer in coming, since I've got a partially completed
pci(4) man page in my tree from January or so that needs to be completed
as part of this.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry