Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:48:13 +0200
From:      Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
To:        Howard Jones <howie@thingy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login requirements?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:50:09PM +0100, Howard Jones wrote:

> I'm building myself a DoM-booting FreeBSD 5.1 system, to replace some
> aging Wyse WinTerms that we have around the office. I did this
> successfully a couple of years ago with 4.5 with no trouble, so I know
> it's basically good to go.
>
> I'm doing it by building up the minimum system to run the binaries I
> need (sshd, ssh, X, rdesktop). It's all working fine except for login.
> Does anyone know what the minimum file set for login actually is? So
> far I've copied libpam.so, login itself, all the pam_*.so modules,
> login.conf and the pam.d/* files.

This is not the shortest list, but except for the ssh part this document
should contain what you need :

http://www.thinbsd.org/ThinBSD-filelist-2004-03-13.txt

> [side question - the next stage after this is to try a pxeboot-based
> version. I can't find much info about how to use a built-in md device
> in a 5.x kernel though. Is this possible? I'd rather like to avoid
> running an NFS server if I can...]

I don't know if it is possible either, but you can definitely load a
ramdisk image without a NFS server.

In fact, it was one of the primary motivations behind a pet project of
mine: ThinBSD, a FreeBSD based thin client system.

The kernel and ramdisk are loaded from the pxe loader, via tftp.

Check out http://www.thinbsd.org/ it seems like we have the same goals.

--
Francois Tigeot