Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:56:26 -0500
From:      drgerlists@gmail.com (Dr. Gary E. RAFE)
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI Resume returns g_vfs_done() error and kernel panic...

Background: Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100
BIOS Version 1.90 (latest, dated 11 Aug 2003)
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE, custom kernel(s)

APM Suspend/Resume works without trouble
on this configuration
(*with* USB devices compiled into the kernel).

Currently: After reconfiguring my wife's Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600
recently with FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and finding ACPI Suspend/Resume
appears to work mostly as it should
(USB still complains a bit, but it does work OK),
I decided to re-visit ACPI on my 6100.

The first ACPI suspend attempt on the 6100 with a (new)
USB-free kernel appeared to suspend the system OK
with "acpiconf -s S3".

Lid-open resume on this first attempt returned
a corrupted text console that came back OK
following an Fn-F5 cycle.

Many "g_vfs_done():ad0s2a..." error messages
on the text console suggested trouble, however,
so "init 6" was issued, which immediately initiated
a kernel panic.

Following the reboot, I discovered that my /etc/rc.local
file was corrupted (truncated) -- darn.

A complete "verbose" dmesg(8) output from a subsequent ACPI
suspend/resume cycle is posted here:
	<http://eng.utoledo.edu/~grafe/pub/tsp6100a.dmesg.acpi.txt>;

Note that setting "sysctl hw.acpi.video_reset=0" fixed
the corrupted text console on this Toshiba.

By way of contrast, dmesg(8) output from a working APM
suspend/resume is here:
	<http://eng.utoledo.edu/~grafe/pub/tsp6100a.dmesg.apm.txt>;

For completeness, hardware ACPI-related sysctl(8) information
is here:
	<http://eng.utoledo.edu/~grafe/pub/tsp6100a.hwacpi.txt>;

And the ASL dump from acpidump(8):
	<http://eng.utoledo.edu/~grafe/pub/tsp6100a.asl.txt>;

Since APM Suspend/Resume is known to work,
this is not a show-stopper for me.
I have been interested, however, in getting ACPI services
to work on this Toshiba.
Guidance & direction as to where to look next by list readers
and ACPI experts will be appreciated.
--
Dr Gary E RAFE: drgerlists at gmail dot com