Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:31:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, garyj@muc.de, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: all those .la files

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Jeremy Lea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 06:49:24PM -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > Sorry if I'm smoking something wierd here, but I thought the original
> > proposal is to have ports come with their own libtool to use
> > ports/devel/libtool.
> >
> > That way we only need to fix one broken port instead of dozens, no? :)
>
> Yes, that was Kris's plan, which I'm beginning to like more and more...
> I haven't looked at it yet, but if most ports are using libtool.m4 ->
> aclocal.m4 -> configure, then we might be able to get away with
> 'patching' via a sed script in bsd.port.mk (as a post-patch target),
> rather than patching 20 million configures.

They're not, most ports have their own captive ltmain.sh to create a
libtool they have of their own, and will each of every one of them
require patching to use a coomunity libtool.  Why you'd want to go to
all that work to memorialize a piece of broken software is completely
beyond me.  Libtool serves to solve *no* problems that we have, and
manages only to add the .la files which we don't want.

> Regards,
>  -Jeremy
>
> --
>   |    What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus freak?
> --+--  What will people do when they find that it's true?
>   |    I don't really care if they label me a Jesus Freak,
>   |    There ain't no disguising the truth.  - d c Talk

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).