Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:15:48 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max. amount of physical memory in FBSD 4.1?

Guten tag,

-On [20000927 13:35], O. Hartmann (ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de) wrote:

[snip]

>And what is about FreeBSD 4.1? We use now TYAN's Thunder 2500 maonboard
>which is capable to hold two CPUs and get equipted with max. 8GB main
>memory. This is a nice option because we plan to solve some memory
>intensive environtmental research calculations. So, my question seems
>to be stupid for those who understand reading kernel code, but for me,
>a kind of "normalo", please tell me: how much memory and how many CPUs
>is FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE capable to work with in a stable fashion?

I have been running FreeBSD 4-STABLE and higher on SMP boxes reliable.
Those were 2 CPU boxen.  For more CPU's see LINT's options:

# Mandatory:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional, these are the defaults plus 1:
options         NCPU=5                  # number of CPUs
options         NBUS=5                  # number of busses
options         NAPIC=2                 # number of IO APICs
options         NINTR=25                # number of INTs

4 Gigabyte is currently the limit.  Peter Wemm [peter@freebsd.org] is
current working on getting 8 Gigabyte supported and working.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands