Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 01:19:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Peter Stubbs <PETERS@staidan.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named troubles.

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Peter Stubbs wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm having some troubles with BIND. I run a 2.1.5 system as a web
> cache, router and name server for my 2 class "C" networks. I have 2
> problems. The system has been running  for 18 months using 1.1.5,
> 2.0.5, 2.1, 2.1.5. These are the problems.
>

> 1) the secondaries can't do a zone transfer. They are FBSD 2.1
> systems at a local university who is our ISP. (we have parmanent
> connection via modem) Other systems can do zone transfers, but the 2
> secondaries can't. Systems that can are running some type of
> solaris.
>
> 2) every couple of days, the 2.1.5 system seems to loose the ability
> to lookup names. The modem is connected, but "ftp ftp.cdrom.com"
> returns "host unknown". restarting named doesn't help, but a full
> reboot gets us back online.  If the host name is in the in the DNS
> cache, you can reach it OK, but new DNS lookups fail. The strange
> symptom is that the modem won't redial when you reboot. Normally a
> reboot will make the modem hangup, then redial, but it doesn't hang
> up. I have to switch it off, then it will redial.
>
> Please help, I can't find the solution.

	I had a similar problem recently with named on both my
FreeBSD boxes, and Sparc20...for no apparent reason, it just stopped
serving...

	I grabbed the latest BIND from ftp.vix.com and installed it on
both machines, and the problems disappeared *shrug*

YMMV...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org