Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 14:00:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iaint@css.tuu.utas.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   login.conf limits under 2.2 stable and kaffe

Under 2.2-STABLE (as of about two weeks ago roughly), I am having a
problem running java applications under kaffe (javac for example) they
fail with a message:

depravitas% javac
Failed to allocate heap (16384K)
Abort trap - core dumped

When running as any user other than root.

I was wondering if there was anybody out there who may have had this or a
similar problem, or at least knew what I was doing wrong.

Now I thought this must be a login.conf limits kind of problem (since root
has these set to copiously large amounts), however no matter how large I
give other users their limits, it still fails with the above message.

(It does run the appletviewer however, but that has some graphical bugs
which probably aren't related to this problem)

This is an entry from my login.conf file which most users inherit. The
numbers are quite generous, but it still doesn't work.

It may be possible that I'm not getting the correct capability entry, but
I'm pretty sure I am (all entries have tc=standard which this is an
excerpt from).

        :cputime=1h30m:\
        :datasize=64M:\
        :stacksize=32M:\
        :memorylocked=64M:\
        :memoryuse=64M:\
        :filesize=8M:\

Other use[less|full] information ---
32 MB ram and 100ish MB swap, and yes I am remembering to cap_mkdb.

Iain.