Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:06:44 -0500
From:      "Yuri Lukin" <lists@swaggi.com>
To:        "Sam Wun" <smw2010@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless serer card that can handle multi-users

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:10:45 +1100, Sam Wun wrote
> Hi,
>
> About half year ago, I tested a mini wireless server card with
> FreeBSD 6. The connection runs very fast if only myself using it,
>  but when there are more than 1 user connected to it, the second
> user will suffer extremely slow wireless network connection. My
> colleague also told me he also experienced that problem for his
> clients. So he purchased a cheap  D-Link Wireless access point for
> his client rather than bundle the wireless access point
> (card) in the freebsd router box.
>
> Can anyone tell me which wifi server card don't have that problem
> when configured with freebsd?

Assuming that you're talking about MiniPCI cards, you can use any based on the
Atheros chipset. I believe most if not all currently shipping Atheros cards
are supported in FreeBSD 6.2. I have personally been using Wistron CM9 for
nearly a year now. As far as the problem you described, you could have been
running mixed b/g mode causing protection bit to be set which effectively
reduces the throughput of your wireless LAN.

Yuri