Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:31:49 -0700
From:      Jacob Meuser <jakemsr@jakemsr.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone working on V4L2 for BSD?

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:51:14AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I'm considerring it.. It looks quite doable. (assuming we can get
> compatible include files
> without copyright problems.)

I can forsee at least one big obstacle in the bktr driver.  it is
necessary to call TVTUNER_SETTYPE before setting the tuner, even if
you use TVTUNER_SETFREQ, which is quite different than V4L2.

there are several bugs lurking in bktr.  for example, why are the
U saturation and V saturation ranges different? according to the
datasheets they should be the same.  also notice that on startup
bktr reports a U saturation above the supposed limit!

I'd much rather see the problems fixed than a shim added to it.
how about working about multiple frame buffers?  that's probably need
for many V4L2 programs.  IMO, it would be better (maybe even easier)
to rewrite bktr with a V4L2 interface than to try to add V4L2 to it.

but, IMO, the best thing would be to fix bktr and document it better.

some bktr programs -> http://www.jakemsr.com/bsdav/bsdav-1.0.tar.gz

--
<jakemsr@jakemsr.com>