Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:35:35 -0700
From:      Matty Moose <moose@mmoose.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CLARiiON Disk Array + "Suspicious SCSI Data"

Hello all,

I just recently acquired an old CLARiiON Storage Device, a huge and heavy beast, that has 10 SCSI Disks in it. The model # is 7300 as far as I can
tell (seen in bootup POST messages).

I'm able to connect to the device via serial (vt320! Sweet!), and manage it, and everything boots up fine, no errors, all looks good.

The problem is that the SCSI card I have right now (an ASUS PCI-SC896 with SymBIOS), doesn't see the device along the chain. The SCSI BIOS doesn't
detect anything, and FreeBSD shows me this message while starting up (and every time I do a "camcontrol reset all"):

Oct 3 19:31:59 kernel: sym0: suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
Oct 3 19:31:59 kernel: sym0: dp1,d15-8,dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x7e40309, expecting 0x100
Oct 3 19:31:59 kernel: (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset delivered.
Oct 3 19:31:59 kernel: (noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset delivered.

Since I started typing this message, the error is now
kernel: sym0: dp1,d15-8,dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x309, expecting 0x100
  and not 0x7e40309. I haven't changed anything, other than trying to fiddle with the "bus width" (was 16, changed to 8) and "speed" (was 80MB/s,
changed to 20MB/s), but I've returned everything to the defaults since, and the error is still 0x309.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I just bought an external 68-pin SCSI cable to attach it, since I thought originally the problem may have been
in the fact that I was going from 68->50->68, since I didn't have the proper cable. Now that I do, though, I see the same problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be much appreciated, or if anyone happens to know where I could find some documentation for this CLARiiON
device, that would be great, too. EMC doesn't seem to want to share their docs for this thing. Or, if you've seen this device, or type of box, please
share! I could use any bit of help!

Also, when I shut down the Disk array, the BSD box shows:
(noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS mode change from HVD to LVD.

I'm not a SCSI expert, and I'm not on sure footing here with LVD vs HVD, etc. Any help is much appreciated. :)

Thanks!
MMoose