Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 21:32:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-multimedia@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   audio devices

Does anyone know what the absolute reference is for the major and minor
numbers for the audio devices, like /dev/audio, dsp, dsp0, midi, music, etc?

I am not looking for the numbers, I can go do an ls -l of my /dev for
that.  I'm trying to find the definitive guide for them.  If I can get a
reference I trust, I'll go hunt thru the NAS port and fix it.  These
values have undergone some changes and experimentation inthe past, as
various folks (Amancio, take a bow here) have worked to improve things.
I think that's the reason that NAS might be wrong, and if I make a change
here, I want to be able to point at the reason why I think I did it right.

I know how to do the changes I want to do, its making sure I get the
numbers right, beyond argument, that's important.

If I knew where the MAKEDEV script came from in the CVS tree, I would
take that as a reference ... anyone know?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |