Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 03:26:05 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape native version

} On Thu, Aug 07, 1997 at 10:06:37PM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
} > Jordan recently sent e-mail announcing that Netscape has a native
} > implementation of Navigator.
} >
} > Actually, it was of Communicator.  And, perhaps he should have mentioned
} > it needs to run under 2.2 as it was linked dynamically and has VD
} > (Version Discrepency) on the g++, c and stdc shared libraries.
}
} Anyone else notice that it often just refuses to die?? I'd say about 60%
} of the time for me, when I close it by selecting "Exit" from the menu,
} or close the window using the window manager, Netscape disapears from
} the screen, but a process list shows me it's still there, eating up
} 20MB or RAM and burning away my CPU. 'kill -9' is your friend..

Dies just fine for me.

} Also, the java performance just seems HORRIBLE with the FReeBSD version..
} Idon't know what they're doing, but for some reason the FreeBSD version
} runs about 1000% slower than the Linux version of Communicator (and the
} BSDI 3.0 series).

My Java performance seems okay.  Haven't tried the other versions yet
to compare.

} Finally, Communicator locked up on me last night - actuallly it locked
} up and took out my system with it.. complete freeze. X was still
} "displaying", but the keyboard and mouse were dead. The machine wouldn't
} even answer pings... complete freeze. Needless to say, since I've been
} running FreeBSD (almost 2 years) this is the first time this has ever
} happened to me. Lock up. Not even a crash. Nothing is worse, and horrible
} images of win95 were filling my head.
}
} Solution:
} 	rm -rf /usr/local/netscape
} 	mount /cdrom
} 	pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/slynx-2.7.tgz
}
} Communicator may have a pretty interface, but it's a behemouth,
} resource eating, system crashing, poor performing monster. Surely they
} can do better...

Communicator is a fairly important product.  That Netscape is now apparently
supporting FreeBSD is a *very* important development!  It raises the status
of FreeBSD considerably.

It works reasonably well considering that it's in beta right now.

Please lighten up.

Richard