Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2017 12:53:11 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Font follies

I have encountered a really strange issue following the installation
of a non-standard ttf font into /usr/local/share/fonts/TTF.  Briefly,
any text formatted to use the new font simply disappears from the
OpenOffice Writer document it is used in; except when that text is
bracketed by some other font.  For example the following text is
formatted with DejaVu Serif 12pot in a Writer document:

A TEST of many things
of fonts and scripts and ceiling wax
and coleslaw and kings

If I highlight 'of fonts and scripts and ceiling wax' and change the
font to the font I am having the difficulty with then this is what I
see:

A TEST of many things
and coleslaw and kings

But the text is still there.  Copying and pasting the text block as
displayed above gives this in a simple text editor:

A TEST of many things
of fonts and scripts and ceiling wax
and coleslaw and kings

If instead, however, I change the font of just the word 'scripts' to
the problem font then I see the word in the desired font, albeit is a
much, much smaller point size than I expected.

Does anyone here have any idea of what is going on and how to correct it?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3