Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 23:56:13 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Subject:   Re: Speeding up pkg_version and perhaps other port utilities

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 20 May 2007, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> Quoting Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu> (Sat, 19
>>> May 2007 23:48:52 -0500):

>> This is very cool! I've already added it to my devel version of
>> portmaster in several places. I call make a LOT in portmaster, so I
>> went through every invocation and added this wherever it worked (i.e.,
>> didn't cause a difference in (or absence of) output.
>>

> However just because it works in a majority of cases doesn't mean that
> it will work all the time.  You just don't know what important thing
> might be in AFTERPORTMK, which 99% of the time you never need.
>
> So I see two approaches:
>
> 1.  Add more .if's to bsd.port.mk so that there is a more efficient
> "make VARIABLEONLY=yes -V variable-name" that does all the variables,
> but doesn't calculate any of the targets - this might make things a bit
> faster, or it might not;

I don't think this will speed things up.  I hacked into the code for
make, putting conditionals so that when the "-V" flag was set, that make
wouldn't bother to calculate targets or dependencies or creations, but
only variables.

> 2.  Profile bsd make and see if there are any bottlenecks.  I bet make
> was never designed for speed in these kinds of situations.  But this
> would be a long term project, albeit definitely worth doing.

It looks to me like the variables are stored as a linear list in the
"make" program.  Thus if you have something like 500 variables (e.g. try
a "make -d g1 -V XX | grep = | wc -l" in a port) it is going to take
quite some time to search through all the variables to find one.  This
is especially a problem for variable assignments using "?=" which first
has to search to see if the variable is already defined.  And there are
a lot of "?=" in bsd.port.mk, 298 of them.  I haven't done any profiling
yet, but I bet that this is what is taking up all the time.  Probably
the way to solve this is to rewrite src/usr.bin/make/var.c so that it
uses some more sophisticated way of storing the variables - maybe
Berkeley databases is the way to go.  I almost get the feeling that if
make were completely rewritten in perl that it would go faster!