Date:      Mon, 17 May 2004 20:16:34 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Andri Kok <freebsd_list@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail problems

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 05:01:09AM +1000, Andri Kok wrote:

> I don't know wether this problem have come up beore, so here it goes...=
=20
> After a fresh installing and rebooting, the sendmail takes around 1 min a=
nd=20
> 10 sec to load. Then everytime it starts up, it takes the same amount of=
=20
> time to load. Is that normal? The hardware is a PIII 500 with 256MB of ra=
m.=20
> I'm asking this because I'm not encountering this with my FreeBSD laptop.=
=20
> TIA guys =3D)

FAQ.  Sendmail is trying to get the FQDN for all of your network
interfaces, but the appropriate data is not available in the DNS,
which forces sendmail to wait for the entire DNS timeout (30s per
server usually) in order to confirm that.  If you look at
/var/log/maillog you will see that sendmail says as much in its log
output.  Reading the system log should be just about your *first*
response to a daemon process misbehaving.

Either get the correct data entered into the DNS or put domain names
-- that is with at least one dot in the name -- into /etc/hosts.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way