Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:57:41 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help /etc/make.conf for first buildworld

--==_Exmh_1796479988P

If memory serves me right, "Clarence Brown" wrote:
> I'm getting ready for my first buildworld. The
> handbook indicates that I'll "probably" want
> to copy the CFLAGS and NOPROFILE
> lines from default and to examine the other
> definitions and decide if they are relevant.
>
> Uh, since I barely know what I'm doing,
> maybe you guys could just tell me what's
> actually relevant? I do develop embedded
> systems with small micros, so I'm familiar with
> the concepts of compile, link etc, just not the
> specifics of regarding FreeBSD/buildworld.

The only relevant entry in /etc/make.conf on most of my machines
is to set KERNCONF to include the custom kernel configuration(s) I use.
Technically this isn't used by buildworld, but buildkernel.

Other than that, my make.conf is essentially empty with respect to
buildworld.

> I'm assuming that there is a standard set of
> settings for buildworld so my system will be
> like everyone else's.

"like everyone else's" isn't real well-defined because -STABLE is a
moving target (but moving much less than -CURRENT).  Some settings
in make.conf are extremely hardware-platform dependent (e.g. CPUTYPE=).

My suggestion would be to leave CFLAGS= and NOPROFILE= alone, at least
until you're comfortable with the procedure.  Then you can think about
(carefully) tweaking make settings.  I've never seen the need.

Good luck!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1796479988P

--==_Exmh_1796479988P--