Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 16:53:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concurrent package making allowed?

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Sue Blake wrote:
 -snip-

> OK, after eyeballing the list sifted as above, here's just a few of the
> ports that look like they could be for X but I can't tell from INDEX.
>
> cddbd-1.3.1p1
	don't think so - this is just a database server

> cdplay-0.92
	nope - read the DESCR  :-)

> gsm-1.0.10
	doubt it - this just converst sound files amongst different types

> maplay-1.2
	don't think so..

> mikmod-2.14
	nope - uses ncurses, which is marked broken anyway... :-)

> sox
	nope - sound converter again

-snip- tired of reading pkg/DESCR

> splay-0.5
	oops one more - nope - I did splay-tk port to make an X gui

> then there's screens and screens of games and graphics...
> some in databases, mail, math, misc, print, textproc, www... everywhere.

Essentially all the games use X.  Graphics - well that pretty much screams
X.

I understand it can be confusing, but we don't want to make an X
dependency.  I suppose we could go back and put "USE_X11= yes" in each of
the port Makefiles, but that won't help in the INDEX.  In addition, all
USE_X11 does is set PREFIX = ${X11BASE} anyway, as I recall.

I personally don't think the INDEX should be the end all to everything and
have every single piece of information in it.  If you SEE something in the
INDEX, don't you go read the pkg/DESCR or pkg/COMMENT for that port to see
if it's really what you want?  It's pretty easy, usually, to determine
what needs X and what doesn't from the description (of course maybe I've
been at this too long and it just seems easy to me now).

Brett