Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 05:43:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        crh@outpost.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

> Actually a lot of PC games are now primarily supporting Direct 3D for
> hardware acceleration rather than 3dfx as they used to, and for these
> games the TNT boards are strongly recommended as a top performer. Eg

I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not Direct 3D gives you
gamers the same access to per-pixel MIP mapping, tri-linear filtering,
fog, transparency and other sorts of features that the 3DFX provides.
Those are often what I first notice in a game which is "obviously
running on the 3DFX" and what still seems to be lacking from games
which use the somewhat more generic Direct3D API.  Or has this
situation changed and I just haven't noticed yet? :)

- Jordan