Date:      Mon, 04 May 2009 15:55:18 +0100
From:      Bruce Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bluetooth troubleshooting

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Sat, 2 May 2009, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>
>> # hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
>> Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]
>>
>> is pretty lame compared to what should appear according to the
>> handbook:
>>
>> % hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
>> Inquiry result, num_responses=1
>> Inquiry result #0
>>        BD_ADDR: 00:80:37:29:19:a4
>>        Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
>>        Page Scan Period Mode: 00
>>        Page Scan Mode: 00
>>        Class: 52:02:04
>>        Clock offset: 0x78ef
>> Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]
>>

> Depends what's in range.
>
> Your command indicates to me that there are no _discoverable_ BT modules
> in range. (Note the discoverable part :)

Not all devices need be INQUIRE-able. Some may not have INQUIRE scan
enabled. In that case you need to know the Bluetooth address of the
device you're looking for so you can PAGE it.
If you're expecting to see a mobile phone or other handheld device you
might need to enable discoverability on the device itself. There are
also other IAC codes used for INQUIRY, but generally these aren't used.

cheers,
BMS