Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:05:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: yes! or should I say Oh no! (CD ROM problems)

 > What you're saying is that it fails on the second open but
 > resets if you eject/reload the CD ?

No. Insert CD, run cda /dev/rcd0c toc, error message in
/var/log/messages. Eject CD reinsert it, same command, it works.

 > Could you do me the favour and update to the latest current
 > and try again.

I'll do that. There is no way to definitely trigger the problem, so it's
going to be difficult to asses the state we are in.

 > If that message comes from where I think, something is trying
 > to do non BDEV_SIZE multiple requests on a char device, a clear
 > no-no.

And where do you think the message comes from? Especially because the
error does not occur always on the same CD.

FYI, the drive is SCSI:

ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> irq 11 at device 20.0 on pci0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
cd0: <TEAC CD-R55S 1.0L> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
cd0: cd present [332707 x 2048 byte records]

Nick
--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy