Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:29:59 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From:      "David J. Fiander" <djfiande@julian.uwo.ca>
To:        Mark Morsi <mark_morsi@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE problems

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Mark Morsi wrote:

> I seem to be having problems establishing a connection to my ISP via PPPoE
> and was wondering (actually hoping) if anyone had any suggestions.

First, I'd like to thank you for telling me how to fix the
problems I was having connecting.  I am now fully connected to
Sympatico from FreeBSD 3.3-release.  I was not sending
'username@sympatico.ca', but just 'username' as my PAP authname.

> Ack-Sent --> Opened
> Nov 29 23:32:23 clunker ppp[415]: tun0: LCP: deflink: LayerUp
> Nov 29 23:32:23 clunker ppp[415]: tun0: Phase: bundle: Authenticate
> Nov 29 23:32:23 clunker ppp[415]: tun0: Phase: deflink: his = PAP, mine =
> PAP

My trace says 'his = PAP, mine = none'.  I'm willing to bet a
small amount of money that you have 'enable pap' in your ppp.conf
file, and your ppp is expecting sympatico to authenticate to you.
Just change it to 'accept pap' and see what happens.

- David
--
David J. Fiander         | Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Incipient Librarian      | Where is the knowledge we have lost in