Date:      23 Apr 2003 18:07:37 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   In upgrading Gnome-1.4 to Gnome-2.2, what about already installed Gnome apps?

Hello,
     I've come to the end of my time with Gnome-1.4 on one of my boxes,
and its time to get this box onto Gnome-2.2.

This box, however, has been my main workstation since FreeBSD 4.3-Rel,
and I've got Gnome applications that were installed since before Gnome-2
was released, and I'm not entirely certain whether or not I could simply
upgraded to Gnome-2.2 and not have to "do anything" for these already
installed Gnome-1 ports. Specifically, these are:
evolution-1.2.4
gaim-0.61
AbiWord-gnome-1.0.5
gnumeric-1.0.13
dia-0.91
guppi-0.40.3_2

Needless to say there *are* others, as well as dependencies that I've
not mentioned here.

I've read the FAQ and docs, but haven't found one that addresses this
issue explicitly. Could I really simply, as the FAQ says:

" make sure your GNOME 1.4 ports are up-to-date, then remove the
following GNOME 1.4 packages from the system:
gnomecore
sawfish
gnomeapplets
gnomemedia
gtop
libgtop
nautilus
gedit
xalf
bugbuddy
gnomegames
gnomeutils
gdm
eog
ggv

After those packages are removed, you can build GNOME 2.2 per the
instructions listed above"?

Thanks for the time.

Regards,

Stacey