Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:23:23 +0100
From:      "Michal Malanowicz" <evild@acn.pl>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Problem with Sil 680 RAID card

Anyone who has problems with Silicon Image (Sil 680)
based RAID cards (me till now) here is the solution:

I needed 3 hard drives to create a mirror, one
to boot the system from and 2 others connected to
RAID controler.

BIOS in controller card was left alone - no RAID created.

I booted FreeBSD from first drive, used:
atacontrol create RAID1 ad4 ad6
to create mirror from 2 disks connected to controler card.

Then, after rebooting and disconecting
the first hard drive (ad0) I started to install
FreeBSD again - now on ar0.

atacontrol must have written something
to mbr on this disks or do something similar... I think.

Now I have:

blue# pciconf -l -v
atapci1@pci0:9:0:       class=0x010400 card=0x36801095 chip=0x06801095
rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Silicon Image Inc (Was: CMD Technology Inc)'
    device   = 'SiI 0680 (Was: PCI-0648) Ultra ATA133 EIDE Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = RAID

blue# mount
/dev/ar0s1a on / (ufs, local)

blue# atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: READY

:)

Mike Malanowicz