Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 2008 11:25:49 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot@lc-words.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to mount USB drive on system startup

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 09:45:55AM +0200, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to make sure my USB hard drive will be available when system
> has finished booting. So:
> $ grep usbd /etc/rc.conf
> usbd_enable="YES"
>
> and
> $ grep backup /etc/fstab
> /dev/ad3s1d	/backup	ufs	rw	2	2
>
> But when I restart the system (FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p1), it complains
> that it cannot mount /backup.
>
> mount: /backup: No such file or directory
> Mounting /etc/fstab filesystem failed. Startup aborted.
>
> I am sure there is something very simple that I need to do, so I'll
> appreciate your suggestions! Thanks!

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is, did you make
the /backup mountpoint   eg  'mkdir /backup'  at some time?
Is it really there?

Next question is, did you build a filesystem on the USB?  eg
 [fdisk] bsdlabel and newfs

Check it by running fdisk and bsdlabel on it just to read what it
thinks is there, as in:
   fdisk ad3
   bsdlabel ad3s1

I make all my USB stuff as 'noauto' in /etc/fstab and then manually
mount them later when needed and I have never had a problem - with
either ufs or msdos filesystem types.   I don't think you have to
do it that way, but check it out and see if it makes any difference.
eg change 'rw'  to  'rw,noauto'  in fstab, boot and then try to
do the mount.

If it makes a difference, then maybe there is something to file
a PR on, but it would take further investigation to nail it down.

////jerry