Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 02:07:14 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Al Goldstein <al@sense-gold-134.oz.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: adding harddisk

Hello Al,

> I have 2 disks  containing freebsd 3.2 and 4.0, respectively,  on
> their second partition. The first partitions are both dos. Both disks
> were built as the first drive.
I'm not sure what you mean with "built as first drive". IDE-Disks
jumpered to be master on an IDE-Channel? Or did you physically change
the disk and installed your systems with only one disk inside?
I recommend to jumper each of them as master, attaching them to
different IDE-channels and to change your CD-ROM (if you have one :-) )
to be jumpered as slave and be attached to the IDE-Channel with the disk
you use less (different to SCSI you can only adress one thing on an
IDE-channel at the same time).
> Is it possible to connect one as the
> second drive and be able to access freebsd?
Which boot manager are you using? I never used the FreeBSD one, so I
can't help you with this, but I really adore xosl (look for
www.xosl.org). Freeware, graphical interface with mouse support on boot
time (!), easy to configure, all possibilites including hiding
partitions and marking active partition on boot time.
This thing will offer you all bootable partitions in a menu, you only
have to select with a mouse and name them. It can be installed either on
a DOS-Partition or in a small partition of its own. It will save your
original MBR and offer you this one too as a possibility to boot.
> Since dos won't boot on a second drive I'm willing to give that up.
According to the xosl manuals, this isn't completely correct. DOS can be
booted from a second disk, if there are no DOS-partitions on the first
one (at least no primary partitions, I don't remember exactly). So you
would have to hide the primary DOS-partition on your first disk, if you
want to boot of the second one. xosl claims to be able to do that, but I
never tried it by myself.

Ciao
Siegbert