Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 18:15:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Sergio Lenzi <lenzi@cwbtwo.bsi.com.br>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INGRES 8.9

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Julian Stacey jhs@freebsd.org wrote:

> Hi, Responding to:
> > From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
> > Subject: Re: INGRES 8.9
> > Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 18:54:21 -0500 (EST)
>
> Notes:
> 	- I have removed cc: hackers@ & retained cc: ports@
> 		to reduce cross posting.
> 	- I was a bit suprised to see this, as I thought I'd sent
> 	  private mail to Sergio, but I guess my mouse slipped down the
> 	  exmh scroll bar one place too far :-)
> 	- As quoted, I was in a rush, & have volunteered to work with Sergio :-)

> > You know, Julian, there is such a thing as a package, it's not a port,
> > and it already is built.  I didn't think he claimed he had a port, I
> > thought he said it was a package.
>
> Good point !
> I'd almost forgotten what a mere `package' is, now we have almost exclusively
> `ports' ... I plead guilty to wishful thinking/assumption,
> 	( but see above: "For it to be considered a `FreeBSD ported package'"
> 							     ^^^^^^	)
> > The bin part of it surely is,
> > anyways.  I think it might be right to urge him to put it in as a
> > port, but completely unfair to tell him he did it wrong.
>
> I did _NOT_ tell him he'd done it wrong ! Now you are being unfair !
> I asked him to convert it to a package, & volunteered to test it & commit it
> if it was OK.
>
> > I like ports, you like ports, but there IS that alternative, and I think
> > asking him to go that extra step is more friendly than telling him he's
> > wrong because he didn't.

> > > As I see, the interest is growing, I'll promiss to make a
> > > real "PORT", thanks to your assistance. My job in bsi.com.br (an internet
> > > provider is taking me almost all of my time).
> > > May be in 1 week or later a "port" will be in "place".

I didn't know you had a private conversation going.  I react when I see
someone offering something of use to FreeBSD, and (seemingly) being
offered nothing but complaints.  I couldn't see anything else from what I
read.  I don't think I said anything I couldn't stand by, but perhaps if
I'd seen the whole picture (and that you'd offered him help, which
appeared nowhere I could see) then I wouldn't have commented.

I didn't want to see someone contribute, then get upbraided for it.  I
think that's fair still.  If I put my foot into it from part of a
conversation I didn't see, well, for that I could be wrong.