Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:35:10 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposed new 'options' target

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 02:06:03PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> actually that's kinda the stuff i thought about and developed yesterday.
> problem with your system is that perl is needed.
> i'll write a shared lib and a simple C binary that interfaces libdialog.
> this should go into the base system then. if people feel like it they
> can write arbitary interfaces (qt, gtk, even motif or xaw) and link to
> the shared lib which is in base. this way there is a guarranteed chooser
> application (from base) and it's extensible.

That would be optimal.  However, I wouldn't get too excited about
putting things in the base system.  There's no reason for that to
be necessary -- we can simply have bsd.port.mk depend on a port
being installed to support this feature.  That way, systems that
have already been released can have their cake and eat it too.

> i've written a config file for my mail/sylpheed-claws port to show how
> that options stuff could be done. comments appreciated.
>
> http://corecode.ath.cx/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports/options/

Looks ok.  Though I don't understand the need for a "version"
line.  What are "sel", "msel", and "text"?

Regards,
--
wca