Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2014 01:06:45 -0500
From:      bill <bill@vultures.cc>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd 10. trashing hard drives?

I hadn't tried Free BSD since 4.x, but thought i'd give it a go. I
installed a bootable cd of 10. onto a 300gb sata drive in a 2007
emachine with 4gb ram. It completed the install and asked to reboot into
the system. From that point it hangs on the "e" machine logo. Will not
boot or even go into bios or select boot drive with that hard drive in
operation. When hard drive is disconnected, it goes to free bsd logo and
offers to boot into single or multi user mode, etc, though there is no
hd. Occasionally there is an error that the machine cannot use long mode.

I thought i had mistakenly used the 64-bit when i should have used
32-bit, though the same setup was happy with Ubuntu Linux 64-bit.
Sooo... i got a 160gb drive off ebay and tried again using the 32-bit
install of 10.0. Same result. It seems to install fine, reboots, halts
at the "e" machine logo, and goes no further. From that point, it will
not boot from cd, usb, or any other media so long as either hard drive
is connected. With no hd connected, it brings up the bsd logo and asks
whether i want single or multi user mode, etc.

In both cases I let bsd use its own default settings without changing
any. It seems to partition based on the hd being used with small root, a
swap, and mostly another partition.

Does 10.x assume a TB+ drive and partition accordingly? Is there any
means, bsd or other, i can get into these hard drives and repartition
them? As it stands they both seem to have been rendered useless by
trying to install an OS. Something i have never encountered. Any advice
most appreciated!

peace
-bill