Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:17:08 -0500
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Noob ifconfig question :-/ ...

On 10/24/14 11:49, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> ... I have been tussling w/ getting my newly acquired WatchGuard FireBox
> Edge firewall appliance setup. It requires a computer on the LAN on its
> own IP block (192.168.111.0/8), w/ netmask 255.255.255.0. I was/am
> trying to use ifconfig to set this box up on that block (temporarily
> !!!) to get that thing setup & configured. When I (successfully) reset
> my IP address to 192.168.111.27, I am able to access the device w/ my
> browser. However, it asked for a user name & passwd, which I don't have
> & which the manual which came w/ it doesn't specify :-/ .... Any clues
> what those might be .... Slightly OT, I realize, however I will probably
> later try to change it over to *BSD, as per an earlier post, in case
> that helps .... TIA for any & all clues ....
>
> A quick web search shows
>    admin/admin

1st thing I tried, nogo :-/ ....

>> Separately, when I reset the IP address of this box back to normal
> (192.168.0.27), I could no longer access the web, or my DSL modem (on a
> different subnet behind a router (to be replaced by the afore-mentioned
> firewall)) w/o rebooting. When I did an 'ifconfig re0', I got almost the
> same output as before my twiddling, except that the 'inet' & inet6'
> lines were switched (inet before inet6 before twiddling, inet after
> inet6 after twiddling) .... Could that be the cause of my inability to
> access the modem & web ? TIA here also :-/ ....
>
> That's because you changed the third digit of the ip address, and it is no
> longer in the same subnet
> as the rest of your network, which you just changed over to
> 192.168.111.27.  If I understand what you
> said above correctly.  All of the boxes have to reside on the same subnet,
> either 192.168.111.* or
> 192.168.0.*, in your scenario above.

Everything is on subnet 192.168.0.nnn/8, *except* the new firewall, so I
set *just* my computer (this box, FBSD 9.3p2) to the 192.168.111.nnn/8
subnet using ifconfig. I could indeed reach the firewall through my
simple switch (Netgear from Best Buy). However, when I set this box
*back* to my usual subnet, nothing past the router (which the firewall
is intended to replace) worked w/o a reboot.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.