Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2015 20:04:48 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>, Chris Anderson <cva@pobox.com>
Cc:        stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libopie problems after upgrade to 10.2

On 08/16/2015 19:47, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> wrote:
>> On 08/15/2015 20:47, Chris Anderson wrote:
>>> just upgraded from 10.1-RELEASE-p16 to 10.2-RELEASE using freebsd-update.
>>>
>>> after the upgrade, I began getting errors because pam_opie.so.5 has an
>>> unsatisfied link to libopie.so.7 (my system only has libopie.so.8).
>>>
>>> I notice a fresh install of 10.2-RELEASE does indeed contain libopie.so.7,
>>> so I'm curious how I managed to get into this state in the first place and
>>> whether it is anything I should worry about. This machine has only been
>>> upgraded using freebsd-update and I'm pretty sure it started from
>>> 10.0-RELEASE.
>>
>> I did the same update using freebsd-update and I do not have
>> libopie.so.8 that should not be in any 10.X-RELEASE.
>>
>> libopie.so.8 was in stable/10 shortly after 10.0-RELEASE, but was set
>> back again to libopie.so.7 between 10.1-RC1 and 10.1-RELEASE:
>>
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.1/lib/libopie/Makefile?view=log&pathrev=273169
>>
>> Your problem was probably not introduced during the 10.1-RELEASE to
>> 10.2-RELEASE upgrade but earlier.
>>
>> I have a system that had just about every BETA, RC, and RELEASE starting
>> from 9.0-RC1 using freebsd-update binary upgrades only, including some
>> BETA or RC of 10.1 with libopie.so.8... that system has only
>> libopie.so.7 now as it should have. Maybe you forgot the "removing of
>> old libraries" step of "freebsd-update install" after "freebsd-update
>> upgrade" around 10.1-RC3, because you did not expect it on a stable branch?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jan Henrik
>

> As far as I know freebsd-update(8) should handle the obsolete files
> automatically, it's only when you're building from source you have to
> remember to do 'make delete-old delete-old-libs'. If freebsd-update(8)
> fails to delete the obsolete files it's a flaw in it that should be
> reported with a PR.

In general, you need 3 runs of "freebsd-update install", one for
installing the kernel, one for installing the userland, and one for
removing obsolete shared libraries (see install_files in
freebsd-update). Of course, the third run is usually not needed during
minor version upgrades, but it was needed between 10.1-RC2 and 10.1-RC3.
Although you get a message about the necessary third run, you may forget
about it anyhow. That was my speculation. Rethinking the problem, that
is probably not it, since both libopie.so.7 and libopie.so.8 would be
present in that case.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik