Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:16:12 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to "downgrade" a port in the tree

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 10:27 am, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> >> (10.13.2004 @ 1221 PST): John Nielsen said, in 1.3K: <<
> > I'm not much of a programmer, but I am the port maintainer for the
> > mail/hotwayd port.  The version in the tree is the latest available
> > version, hotwayd 0.8.  However, there are some serious bugs in this
> > version that result in mangled e-mail headers.

> Downgrading a port is perfectly acceptable in this situation. If you
> cannot patch the 0.80 sources to unmangle the email addresses, submit a
> PR downgrading it back to 0.74. All you need to do there is add
> PORTEPOCH= 1
> and it will appear as a newer version to portupgrade(1). I don't
> personally think that it's even necessary to append UPDATING for this.
> Noting this situation in the commit message should be sufficient.

Thanks for your speedy response.  I've submitted a PR as you suggested
(ports/72655).

One more question:  If at some point a new version (say 0.8.1) is released,
will I need to do anything special to indicate that it is preferred over
hotwayd-0.7.4,1?  Should I remove the portepoch line, leave it alone, or
bump it up?

JN