Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:00:09 +0100
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>, "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: cvs tag usage

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 5:32 PM, b. f.<bf1783@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> He has _7_2_0_RELEASE, not RELENG_7_0_2_RELEASE.
> >
> > Well, neither actually.  :)   s/0_2/2_0/  .  But I inferred from the
> > context  -- it seemed obvious, particularly from what he wrote later
> > -- that he meant those choices as suffixes to RELENG, which he omitted
> > for the sake of brevity.  I assumed you also made this inference.
>
> Agreed, but IMHO, it's better to be precise and not assume too much. :-)
OK guys this has now reached the point where I am again confudes -- here is my
original posting amended to ensure there is no ambiguity

I am confused about the usage of the tag for src.

I took a look at the web pages and found the following choices:

RELENG_7_BP
RELENG_7_2_BP
RELENG_7_2_0_RELEASE
RELENG_7_2

But could not find anything that told me where -p2 fits into this!!

# uname -a

7.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Wed Jun 24 00:14:35 UTC 2009
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

To synchronize src and keep up to date do I use:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_2
will this automatically track the latest version in 7_2  and therefore keep
track with 7.2-RELEASE-p2 or later??

or
do I need to use something like:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_2-p2

or
something else!!

Where can I find some explanation on this?
Maybe something from this discussion could be added to the
handbook/synching.html page so the choice of suffix for configuring cvsup
could be made easier for those who are not familiar with the meaning of
undocumented suffixing such as -p2 !!.

Another could there possibly be some consistency between the output from uname
-a and the suffixing used for synching of the src be practicable. Please do
not bite my head off if it is not practical -- I acknowledge it is a question
born of ignorance and confusion <chuckles>

david

Thanks in advance

David